Ryan Hiebert wrote:

> I've chosen to use
MacPorts because it keeps things separate, because when things get hosed using the system libraries, I don't have to erase my whole system to get back to a "vanilla" OS X install.

I don't know what you're doing to hose your system that badly.
I've never had a problem that couldn't be fixed by deleting
whatever the last thing was I added that caused it.

Also the problems I had with one of the third-party package
managers was because it *didn't* keep its own stuff properly
separated. It installed libraries on my regular library path
so that they got picked up by things that they weren't
appropriate for.

I'm not saying that MacPorts is a bad thing. If it's the
*only* thing you use, it's probably fine. But I use a wide
variety of libraries, not all of them available that way,
and many of them installed from source, and I find it's
less hassle overall to do everything the native MacOSX way
wherever possible.

--
Greg