On Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 11:02:57 PM UTC+12, Christian Gollwitzer wrote:

> Am 18.09.16 um 12:26 schrieb Lawrence D’Oliveiro:
>
>> Considering the power available in Free Software toolkits like
>> ImageMagick, G’MIC and so on, not to mention libraries accessible
>> from Python itself, let me suggest that such proprietary software
>> simply isn’t worth bothering with any more.
>
> I was expecting that argument. Free software gives you a lot in this
> area, but there are commercial signal processing programs with unmatched
> quality. Examples:
>
> https://ni.neatvideo.com/
>   or for audio
> http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/what-is-melodyne

If these tools are so wonderful, why don’t they offer command-line versions?

I’ll tell you why: because it would likely mean they would sell fewer copies.

Unless they put in a whole bunch of additional restrictions in the EULA, such as
  * You can’t run the program via SSH or a PTY, because this would allow
    multiple machines to make use of a single copy, which is not allowed.
  * Shell scripts are allowed, but any loop invoking the cheaper version of the
    tool is only allowed a maximum of 100 iterations. Also you must write the
    scripts using csh, not bash.
  * Pipes are limited to a maximum transfer of one gigabyte per day.

A CLI gives the user power over the computer. While a GUI is a great way to
give the computer, and proprietary software companies, power over the user.