Am 25.09.16 um 01:08 schrieb Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn:
Christian Gollwitzer wrote:

Am 17.09.16 um 23:19 schrieb Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn:
Peng Yu wrote:
Hi, I want to convert strings in which the characters with accents
should be converted to the ones without accents.
[…]
[…]
./main.py Förstemann

AFAIK, “ä”, “ö”, and “ü” are not accented characters in any natural
language, but characters of their own (umlauts).

In particular, I know for certain that they are not accented in Germanic
languages.  Swedish has been mentioned; I can add my native language,
German, to that list.

In German, they are letters,

If you read more carefully, my point was: In German, umlauts are not
"accented characters".

but they collate as either ae, oe, ue
(rarely) or a, o, u (modern style).

Correct, but irrelevant.  The OP did not say anything about sorting.

Fallacy: Red herring.

Fallacy: Thinking that I disagree with you.

        Christian