Stefan Ram wrote:
Bill <bill_nos...@whoknows.net> writes:
I understand string[::-1] after only studying python for a day or two
(I've only been studying it for 2 weeks at this point).  A student could
study C++ for a semester or more and not encounter templates until they
studied data structures.  So in short, I don't believe that the example
you chose from Python and the one you chose from C++, were at similar
levels (not even close).
   I was responding to your assertion:

|It's much easier to tell what's going on, at a glance, in a
|C++ program.

   and I showed a simple counterexample.
But it was *not* a simple counterexample.
   And above, now, it seems that you /agree/ that one can learn
   Python in a short time, but needs a lot longer to learn C++.
Learning to develop code, in either language, involves much more than "learning C++" or "learning Python". I have been reading Beazley's "Essential Reference", and I would say that Python is definitely a bigger, and more complicated language than C++. In some aspects it has simpler syntax. But consider all of the ways that you can pass arguments to a function, for instance. There are definitely alot more options than in C/C++. I like the way that both of these languages (unlike Java) allow you to stick with the procedural paradigm if you wish to (which I think is a natural way for a true beginner to start). From my perspective, Python's simplicity lies in the fact that an entire program does not have to be recompiled if a module is changed. Since I was programming in C (and Fortran) before you were born, it's syntax does not generally pose a hindrance to me.

   BTW: templates have little to do with data structures. One can
   show resonable examples for function templates that do not use
   any data structure:
You are sounding like a "know-it-all" again. I am familiar with such examples. One could code in C++ for a long time without a definitive need for templates. It just depends on the application. By trade, I am more of a mathematician than a programmer but sometimes my needs and/or interests overlap.

template< typename T >
T maximum( T const a, T const b ){ return a > b ? a : b; }

   . The corresponding Python def would be (untested):

def maximum( a, b ): return a if a > b else b

   , that is, because Python is not statically typed, one does
   not need a template for a corresponding definition in Python.