On 9/18/23 12:56, c.buhtz--- via Python-list wrote:
On 2023-09-18 10:16 "Peter J. Holzer via Python-list"
<python-list@python.org> wrote:
On 2023-09-15 14:15:23 +0000, c.buhtz--- via Python-list wrote:
I tried to install it via "pipx install -e .[develop]". It's
pyproject.toml has a bug: A missing dependency "dateutil". But
"dateutil" is not available from PyPi for Python 3.11 (the default
in Debian 12). But thanks to great Debian they have a
"python3-dateutil" package. I installed it.

This can be installed via pip:

I'm aware of this. But this is not the question.

I would like to know and understand why my via "pipx" installed package
"hyperorg" is not able to see the systems packages installed via "apt
install python3-dateutils"?

Is this the usual behavior? Is this correct?

Yes. By default, the virtualenv contains just what you've installed. It's designed to give you tight control over what's installed, so you can track dependencies, avoid accidental inclusions, etc. As usual, you don't have to accept the default. For example, for the venv module:

usage: venv [-h] [--system-site-packages] [--symlinks | --copies] [--clear]
            [--upgrade] [--without-pip] [--prompt PROMPT] [--upgrade-deps]
            ENV_DIR [ENV_DIR ...]

Creates virtual Python environments in one or more target directories.

positional arguments:
  ENV_DIR               A directory to create the environment in.

  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  --system-site-packages
                        Give the virtual environment access to the system
                        site-packages dir.