On 9/22/2026 6:05 AM, Jon Ribbens wrote:
On 2026-09-21, Martin Schöön <[email protected]> wrote:
Den 2026-09-21 skrev Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <[email protected]>:
On 9/21/2026 5:17 PM, Martin Schöön wrote:
<snip>
Yesterday, however, I encountered a problem that a quick internet
search told me is somewhat common: adding a package to an environment
stalls at the 'solving environment' stage. I found a bunch of rather
different 'fixes'. I have not tried any yet. I think maybe I am doing
environments wrong.
<snip>
My thinking now:
I should have more rather than fewer environments and make them more
task specific -- avoid 'general purpose' environments to limit the
number of packages in each environment.
I have noticed that "conda update whatever" /always/ tells me everything
is up-to-date. This can't be true. Will the procedure of the third
bullet above solve this?
No, I have not tried asking any LLM. I hope for some real human advice.
Dear Martin,
<snip>
Have you considered installing the offending package using your opera-
ting system package manager instead, if available as such? There are
n+1 [1] Linux package managers, so I leave off any suggestions for the
command line tool.
I think this is how most or even all Linux users start with Python. Then,
after a while you want to use a Python package (or version) not catered
for by your system package manager...
Indeed. Using the operating system package manager for Python
packages is only feasible if you yourself are creating a package
for that operating system.
Point taken. Now, what is worrying me, is the lack of answers about the
Conda package manager. I was under the impression Usenet was full of
Python coders [1], and someone would know what to do about the original
problem.
Is there really, in all of Usenet, nobody who knows how to solve this?
[1] Because some people are always talking about Python in comp.lang.c,
and comp.lang.lisp. No need to name them as they haven't commented in
this discussion thread.
--
Johann | email: invalid -> com | http://www.myrkraverk.com/blog/
I'm not from the Internet, I just work there. | via XS News
https://bsky.app/profile/myrkraverk.bsky.social | for ( ;; ) _:;
--
https://mail.python.org/mailman3//lists/python-list.python.org