Den 2026-09-21 skrev Martin Schöön <[email protected]>:
<snip>
> Yesterday, however, I encountered a problem that a quick internet
> search told me is somewhat common: adding a package to an environment
> stalls at the 'solving environment' stage. I found a bunch of rather
> different 'fixes'. I have not tried any yet. I think maybe I am doing
> environments wrong.
>
> Among the 'fixes' suggested are:
>
> * Use mamba for installing packages.
> * conda config --set channel_priority strict
> * Remove and re-create environments to ensure packages are up-to-date.
>
<snip>
> My thinking now:
>
> I should have more rather than fewer environments and make them more
> task specific -- avoid 'general purpose' environments to limit the
> number of packages in each environment.

OK guys and gals, I have done some research and think I have answers.
Yes, I have indeed done environments wrong!

The following three are the most concise ones when it comes to advice:
https://nsc.gitlab-pages.liu.se/berzelius-training/managing-conda-environments-best-practices/1.%20concepts/
https://nsc.gitlab-pages.liu.se/berzelius-training/managing-conda-environments-best-practices/2.%20best-practices/
https://msi.umn.edu/getting-started/help/knowledge-base/best-practices-conda

These are also good:
https://techietory.com/managing-python-environments-with-conda/
https://www.whiteboxml.com/blog/the-definitive-guide-to-python-virtual-environments-with-conda
https://thejacksonlaboratory.github.io/bestpractices_workshop/conda.html

TLDR:
* Create task specific environments.
* Use mamba.
* Try, as far as possible, to instal all needed packages in one go.
* Don't mend/tinker with environments. Create new ones instead.
* Document your environments. README.md or something...

I also asked Duck.ai (front end for Mistral Small 4 in my case) for
advise. The results looks like a summary of the information I
linked to. I will post it separately after having read through
and figured out how to format it for usenet news.

/Martin
-- 
https://mail.python.org/mailman3//lists/python-list.python.org

Reply via email to