Lawrence D’Oliveiro <[email protected]> writes:

> On 21 Sep 2026 09:17:29 GMT, Martin Schöön wrote:
>
>> I am a full time Linux user and moved from pip to conda for managing
>> my Python life a few years ago. I am not an advanced conda user by
>> any measure. For the most part moving to conda was a good idea.
>
> My impression of Conda is that it’s more suited to Windows/Mac
> environments which lack native package management. For example, I
> don’t see a package for Conda under Debian -- surely something as
> useful as that is made out to be, would be supported. But it’s not.
>
> The most complex piece of third-party Python-based code that I install
> is Jupyter, and that goes quite nicely into a virtualenv maintained
> with pip.

I help run a Linux HPC system at a university and see Conda being used by
research mainly from the life sciences.  I think the main advantage is that
Conda also provides non-Python dependencies, such as CUDA for GPU-processing
or numerical libraries written in C, such as BLAS.  If, as Martin mentions,
you are using Windows or MacOS, this is probably quite helpful.

However, if you are on a Linux machine, the OS packages plus pip within a venv
will, in my experience, get you quite a long way.  That, together with poetry,
has been all I have needed for developing my own software with Python, but
obviously YMMV,

Cheers,

Loris

-- 
This signature is currently under constuction.
-- 
https://mail.python.org/mailman3//lists/python-list.python.org

Reply via email to