On Feb 16, 2011, at 11:11 AM, s...@pobox.com wrote:

>I haven't tried it though I suspect you're right.  However, how in the hell
>else are we ever going to reduce the number of different Python modes?  So,
>today the new python.el maintainer seems happy.  Assume GNU Emacs sucks it
>up.  Two years from now the maintainer gets cranky, has a kid, I don't know,
>but something causes him to stop maintaining the code.  You wind up with
>something which causes yet another fork.  Will the GNU Emacs people ever
>accept XEmacs compatibility fixes?

Honestly, I doubt it, but if the new python.el maintainer were reasonable,
he'd accept patches for XEmacs compatibility.  The harsh reality is that he
probably won't be very motivated to develop those patches.

But really, none of this would have happened if the Emacs people had resolved
whatever problems they had with python-mode.el and just used it.  Whatever.
I'm not going down that path again. ;)

>It's ridiculous.  I don't want to be a developer of this stuff.  I just want
>it to work.  Maybe it's just time to face the music and conclude that I
>should switch away from XEmacs.  *sigh*

I faced the very same dilemma two years ago.  You know me, I was a XEmacs user
since it was called Lucid Emacs.  I loved it and I had tons of very cool
specializations and custom elisp to make it work exactly how I wanted it to.
Every few years I'd give GNU Emacs another try, find that it was missing some
crucial stuff I really needed, and abandoned the effort.

Then two years ago I was at a team sprint and I realized that not only was I
in the minority as an *macs user (yes, all the kids seem to flock to Vim these
days), but I was *really* an outcast as a XEmacs user.  So I gave GNU Emacs
one more chance and found that not only was almost everything I cared about in
there, but I was also able to remove significant amounts of my custom elisp,
and had my environment ported in just a couple of days.  I honestly don't even
miss XEmacs any more.  I had a moment of silence for a great editor and moved
on.

It's sad to say, because Lucid Emacs/XEmacs was a great and very innovative
editor in its day.  Heck, I was almost even hired by Lucid to take over
maintainership of it from JWZ[*].  But I think XEmacs's days are numbered if
it isn't already irrelevant.  GNU Emacs has re-established its leadership in
innovation and has won back any lost mindshare.  I apologized to Stephen
Turnbull for my defection, but even he couldn't blame me too much. ;)

I can only say that it wasn't that difficult to migrate, so you may want to
give it a shot.  If you were going to be at Pycon, I'd even give you a hand.

-Barry

[*] Moving to California, and Lucid's bankruptcy a few weeks after my
interview kind of put the kibosh on *that* career move, which as it turns out
was a good thing, or I'd never had met and worked with Guido.