On 2/16/2011 12:34 PM, m h wrote:
WRT switching from XEmacs, what is your reason for using it? Curious
minds want to know. :)

My reason is simple. I consider Stallman delusional.

1) he considers the needs of free software to be dominant over the needs of disabled users. 2) he appears to believe that NaturallySpeaking quality speech recognition can be developed in less than a couple of years. 2a) he doesn't recognize that people are hurting now. Tens of thousands of developers are injured every year and leave the field because there's no support for disabled developer. 3) he appears to believe that a complete speech corpus can be developed without any control over microphones, soundcards, data rates. 4) he cannot conceive of any way in which you can build a hybrid open/closed source system with a clearly defined boundary so that disabled users can make use of essential accessibility software to drive open source software. 5) he believes that integrating Emacs with nonfree accessibility software enhances the value of accessibility software. My perspective is that it enhances the value of Emacs because Emacs and other free software is now accessible to a larger audience.

Personally, for me Emacs or Xemacs are two different ways to lose. With Emacs, I lose by getting zero support or, what seems at times to be negative support. with Xemacs, I lose by what appears to be in overwhelm project with an inadequate number of supporters. They were much more supportive of my accessibility issues but, seeing with Skip is going through is making me a bit nervous. All I want is to make progress so I can try out new usability models for writing software using speech recognition. I don't want to learn Emacs Lisp I don't sync my life into Windows edit controls but I know I'm probably going to have to. But I really want to just focus on the user interface models and save my hands for other things.

To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure Python-modal do I want. I need very fine grained feature oriented navigation and selection. I need to identify instances and arguments and other components that may occur and a lot of code.

---eric