On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 7:24 PM Mark Hammond <mhamm...@skippinet.com.au> wrote:
> The absolute best thing for us would be to reproduce the crash in the
> test code at
> https://github.com/mhammond/pywin32/tree/main/com/win32comext/axscript/test.

I presume that would depend on getting the vendor to open the kimono
and reveal which calls to the scripting engine the application is
making at what times. One handicap I'm dealing with is the fact that I
don't have a good understanding of what the "Microsoft Scripting
Language Interface" is. Searching for it in MSDN turns up only an
article ("Using COM Objects in Windows Script Host") which describes
running scripts using WScript.exe or CScript.exe. It seems unlikely
that the XMetaL application would be launching a fresh CScript.exe or
WScript.exe process every time a macro is invoked (with the massive
performance hit that would introduce), so presumably they have a copy
of this elusive interface specification which they're following to
emulate what those applications are doing.

> The next best thing would probably be a stack trace of the crash.

Any tips for how I would go about obtaining such a thing? I suppose
it's possible that the crash happens while some Python code is
running, and I'd be able to wrap that code in a try block and dump a
stack track to a file (assuming I can guess what code that would be).
But it seems at least as likely that when the crash occurs (that is,
when the dialog window appears at logoff time reporting the memory
access violation) we are no longer anywhere near any of the Python
code. Perhaps the Python code (or C code underneath it) has done
something naughty (for example, trashing a pointer somewhere) well
before the actual crash happens and it only manifests itself at logoff
time when the OS forces the application to let go and really shut
down.

Any advice you can provide to help me get a better understanding of
how the moving parts interact and what I should try next would be
immensely appreciated.

Many thanks,
Bob