There are various LICENCE.txt files in subdirectories, which are canonical. These LICENCE.txt files pre-date the PSF licence (or the PSF!) even existing and this package has many many contributors from this week back to last century, so re-licensing is almost impossible.

I don't think the PSF licence makes sense for projects not released by the PSF - the closest would be a new custom license exactly like the PSF license, but with some words change to make it clear the PSF isn't releasing it.

If your lawyers aren't happy with the situation I'd love to hear their advice for how it could be cleaned up.

Cheers,

Mark