Most of the UI's I write are interacting with *other* legacy ui's (whether
authored via mel, Python cmds, or PySide) , or parts of the DAG.  If the
only access I had to them was through the c++ api I'd probably shoot myself
:P  Having access to PySide (for me) makes the actual interaction part with
Maya trivial, compared to jumping through all the hoops needed to do simple
stuff in the api.