Right on, credit :)

FYI, I figured out you can use cpickle.dumps to embed arbitrary python data
straight into the value of fileInfo, allowing you to query it outside of
Maya, powerful.

However, on large files (200+megs) it can still take a good 20 seconds to
parse.  I may end up just storing all this data to a folder on a server for
easy/fast lookup, but it was still a fun exercise.  Thanks for the help
everyone.