On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 8:56:56 PM UTC-8, AK Eric wrote:
> Right on, credit :)
>

> FYI, I figured out you can use cpickle.dumps to embed arbitrary python data
> straight into the value of fileInfo, allowing you to query it outside of
> Maya, powerful.
>

> However, on large files (200+megs) it can still take a good 20 seconds to
> parse.  I may end up just storing all this data to a folder on a server for
> easy/fast lookup, but it was still a fun exercise.  Thanks for the help
> everyone.

What file system are you using?
You can directly use NTFS ADS(Alternate Data Streams) if you're on Windows.

Basically you can write anything to your "c:/project/mayascene.mb:trololo",
":attr1", ":whatever" even with the shell commands, or your file manager.
You can even keep Maya scene versions inside of a single file, tagging all
other copies with attribute like "mayascene.mb:v001"