Marcus:  MA not an option, so no comment blocks, but thanks, good idea.
However, I like your idea of just writing data to somewhere on the server
that corresponds to the Maya file in question.  That could be a legit
answer.  not tagging the file with metadata itself, but the data isn't
living next to the Maya file itself, which I find scary :P

Juan:  Your thought has merit, and technically I could do it with a
pre-scene-open callback.  Would be worth a test to prove out, but it's a
little scary that unless that callback fires, your scene is garbage.
However, it does make for an interesting way to copy-protect in-house
data....