You're trying to do the point snapper, from around 10:20 in that video? It
sounds to me like you need two input meshes - a "source" and a "target"  -
and you want to store a list of verts that are the same in those two, then
when verts move in the source, you want to move verts in a copy of the
target, and then output that to an output mesh plug.

"Source" I think is what you're currently calling "input". It's the small
control mesh.
"Target" is part of what you're currently calling "output". It will be the
same visible mesh as the output, but it's an input plug on your deformer
and (I think) would be connected to the outmesh plugin of an "intermediate
object" in the construction history of that mesh.

I think if it was me, I'd start by trying to convert polyModifierCmd
example in the docs to Python (or do it in C++...this looks like it will be
slow in Python), then add a "source" mesh input to that. (You could maybe
skip the part where it tries to make a tweak node, for now at least.)