> I guess by intermediate object you mean somehing like "ShapeOrig" node
> that gets created when a deformer, skincluster, etc is applied and contains
> the mesh before the deformer was applied.

Yes, that's it.

I haven't written a node like this either, but it looks like you need to
write a "geometry filter" node (aka a "deformer"), which is the sort of
node that moves verts, like a skincluster or a lattice deformer. Check out
"Writing a Deformer Node" here:
http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2018/ENU/?guid=__files_Writing_a_Deformer_Node_htm