That is true, that does sound like a good idea. Assuming the software
actually does what it says on the tin, it would at least protect against
theft and accidental sharing.

It wouldn’t protect against sending files though, because if someone wanted
to send some model or some rig, they could still just export it to a new .ma?
For that, you’d probably be better off intermingling it with custom nodes.
Like how anything rigged with mGear is riddled with mGear nodes, making
anyone attempting to open that rig without mGear loaded left with a sorely
broken rig. And no amount of exporting or tampering with the scene file
could fix it.