Antonio and Adam,

Well I got it tkinter going on my Dell Axim X30 with Windows Mobile 3.0 SE.
These are the stops I took:

1)  Installed latest version of PythonCE from sourceforge.  I used the latest
PythonCESetup.exe, which when executed on a Vista PC enables you to install the
program through the Windows Mobile Device Center.  (Programs and Services,
Add/Remove Programs).

I installed PythonCE with the "Install program files into the default
installation folder" option unchecked.  I installed it to Built-In Storage.

2)  I downloaded Tkinter-files.zip from the same sourceforge page.  I found it
in the sourceforge PythonCE folder Python_CE_2.3.4-1.  I unzipped in on my PC
and put the files from its Windows folder into the Windows folder on my Axim
X30 and put the other files into Built-In Storage.

3)  I ran the 3 step tkinter test found here:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/TkInter

4)  At some point, in the test it told me that it couldn't find init.py,  and
it gave me a list of folders that it searched.  Based on this, I moved the
subfolders out of their folder (was it lib?) and into the root directory of
built-in storage and retested.  Et voila.  Ca marche.

Let me repeat more briefly and perhaps more sensibly in imperative mood:

1)  Download lastest PythonCE from sourceforge and install to Axim's Built-In
Storage.

2) Download Tkinter-files.zip from same sourceforge location and unzip on a
PC.  Copy the files from the Windows folder (celib.dll, etc) into the Windows
folder on Axim.  Copy the subfolder named library to Built-In Storage.  Copy
the folder named tk8.4 to Built-In Storage.

Tkinter should now be working.  Can I be more specific?  Built-In Storage now
has the following folders:  PythonCE Python25, tk8.4, and library.  Three dll's
added to My Device\Windows folder

It's pretty simple actually but nevertheless it wasn't that easy to figure it
out.  I don't see why Tkinter has to be manually installed when the rest of
pythonce is installed by the setup program.  It seems like it took a month just
to get tkinter working and it seemed touch and go the whole time when it
should've been a no brainer.   Now that it's going, I'm a happy camper.

BTW, I was also able to get ppygui running but will make my first pass and
hopefully final on my program with tkinter.

Thanks for your invaluable help and encouragement.  Without it I would have
held this task to be impossible.

Bye.