On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Nick Matsakis wrote:

> Finally, on the matter of Python 2.4, is there a standard place that the
> macpython 2.4.1 looks for packages?  /Library/Python/2.4/site-packages,
> perhaps?

So, my understanding is that independent framework builds of macpython
default to only looking in their site-packages folder (in fact, this is
how Apple's installs works, except that their site-packages folders are
softlinks to folders within /Library/Python).

In building the appscript installer, I see two options: either create a
package that is able to find the python frameworks by using Apple's system
for upgrading relocateable bundles, then as the user where to install the
software OR install the 2.4 software in /Library/Python/2.4/site-packages
and provide a couple of .pth files on the disk image that people can drag
into their installation's site package.  I'm strongly leaning towards the
second option, because its a lot less work for me and I think it offers
more flexibility to the end user as well.

Thoughts?

Nick Matsakis