Peter Xu <pet...@redhat.com> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 05, 2023 at 09:44:12AM -0300, Fabiano Rosas wrote:
>> Peter Xu <pet...@redhat.com> writes:

>> > I think what you proposed should indeed work.
>> >
>> > Currently it's:
>> >
>> >     .fields = (VMStateField[]) {
>> >         VMSTATE_UINT32(size, GlobalState),
>> >         VMSTATE_BUFFER(runstate, GlobalState),
>> >         VMSTATE_END_OF_LIST()
>> >     },
>> >
>> > I had a quick look at vmstate_info_buffer, it mostly only get()/put() those
>> > buffers with its sizeof(), so looks all fine.  For sure in all cases we'd
>> > better test it to verify.
>> >
>> > One side note is since we so far use qapi_enum_parse() for the runstate, I
>> > think the "size" is not ever used..
>> >
>> > If we do want a split, IMHO we can consider making runstate[] even smaller
>> > to just free up the rest spaces all in one shot:
>> >
>> >   typedef struct QEMU_PACKED {
>
> [1]
>
>> >       uint32_t size;
>> >       /*
>> >        * Assuming 16 is good enough to fit all possible runstate strings..
>> >        * This field must be a string ending with '\0'.
>> >        */
>> >       uint8_t runstate[16];
>> >       /* 0x00 when QEMU doesn't support it, or "0"/"1" to reflect its
>> > state */
>> >       uint8_t vm_was_suspended[1];
>> >       /*
>> >        * Still free of use space.  Note that we only have 99 bytes for use
>> >        * because the last byte (the 100th byte) must be zero due to legacy
>> >        * reasons, if not it may be set to zero after loaded on dest QEMU.
>> >        */
>>
>> I'd add a 'uint8_t reserved;' to go along with this comment instead of
>> leaving a hole.
>
> Note that "struct GlobalState" is not a binary format but only some
> internal storage, what really matters is vmstate_globalstate.  Here the
> "uint8_reserved" will be a pure waste of 1 byte in QEMU binary, imho.

I prefer wasting the byte and make the code more obvious to people who
might not immediately understand what's going on. We could even
assert(!global_state.reserved) to sanity check the assumption. Anyway,
that's minor, I'm fine with it either way.

> I think I just copied what you had previously and extended it, logically I
> don't think we ever need QEMU_PACKED right above [1].  We can also drop
> "size" directly here, but this can be done later.

Ah right, I was initially thinking of letting the new qemu overrun
runstate[16] so we wouldn't have to change the code. But that's indeed
not necessary, your additions to the vmstate make it ok. Thanks.