On Wed, 8 May 2024, Nicholas Piggin wrote:
On Tue May 7, 2024 at 10:31 PM AEST, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
On Tue, 7 May 2024, Nicholas Piggin wrote:
What do you think about adding mmu-book3e.c instead?

I have considered that but found that some functions have to be in the
same file and declared static for the compiler to inline them otherwise I
get worse performance. Maybe after these rearrangments it's now possible
to move these out but as this series got a bit long already I dod not go
through with that and left it for a follow up but I can give it a try.

It would be nice.

OK I've done that now as this also helps with some of the unint warnings but I could not get rid of all work arounds completely.

What host machines are you using? I'm surprised inlining is causing
so much performance unless it is something older or in-order.

Maybe it depends more on the compiler than host. I still use gcc 10 with default -O2 level. Some people found that -O3 and LTO may help a bit but I test with default QEMU settings as that may be what most use.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan