On 09/23/2014 08:22 AM, Trevor Wiens wrote: > I agree with earlier comments that this is largely a distribution problem > and that automatic functionality creates some risks. > > I posted yesterday about how Windows installs having their own versions of > python installed makes using tools like pip or easy_install challenging. > > I can see two possible ways forward: > 1. Use a generic python install rather than installing its own version. > This way pip and other tools will work fine. > 2. Provide a tool to execute pip for the QGIS specific version of python > for Windows installs (I don't know what happens under Max OS) > > It seems to me that option 1 would be the most obvious choice making > Windows installs similar to Linux installs and simpler to add and remove > libraries as needed. I think that adding more and more stuff to the OSGeo4W > install doesn't make sense. >
There's a reason OSGeo4w installs it's own Python. Unlike Mac and Linux, Windows does not ship with Python. There are other common GIS applications that do ship Python and it often conflicts with OSGeo4w Python (Version, Compiler, and OSGeo GDAL/OGR namespace). Many python libraries actually require compiling of C modules, which isn't handled by pip (binary files have to be in pypi). So in part it's really hard to rely on the Windows Python if there at all to be the right version, and multiple versions of Python on Windows fight for the registry entry (last installed wins). So someone installing Python 3 can easily break QGIS if relying on system python. I'll also note that several people have had success using pip within OSGeo4w. See previous posts on qgis and osgeo4w lists. Making pip easier to use in OSGeo4w is likely a better choice. Several of us on IRC have discussed this topic in depth before, at least in regards to external python deps. My leaning is to just wrap pip functionality to help users. As for python plugin deps, I say, only allow deps on core python plugins and on plugins in the official repo. As is, if someone loads python code, it can always download whatever from some url using pure python. Hard to hide it when the code is open and available, but we don't heavily check it either. On that note, we should also consider moving the python plugin repo to https. Thanks, Alex _______________________________________________ Qgis-developer mailing list [email protected] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
