Hi Tom,

RTTI is some low-level C++ functionality to determine an objects type
(roughly equivalent to `type(myobject)` in python). It can be enabled
and disabled during compilation. Apparently it was disabled on your QGIS
build.

The bad news: QGIS uses this information to determine which type of
symbollayer is in use.

The good news: This can be fixed, I've just fixed it in master [1].
Please let me know if you need this backported and where to (so you can
test).

Matthias

[1]
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/8fa3127c66220ad338ea9a1b367b0d78c56c9067