> I do not understand your 1, 2, 3 points (actually I have some subtle
> disagreement i think :-) ) but yes, the end would be to have
> manual_en_2.14, manual_en_2.18 and master which will become
> manual_en_3.2 when released.

Please do disagree!

> And I prefer the term of forwardporting from 2.18 to master than
> backporting to avoid misunderstanding about the direction of the port.

Totally no preference from my side, commits can be ported whatever way
you prefer.

>     The advantage of this is, that new features can immediately be
>     documented in rst (and not only md as in the issue tracker) as soon as
>     someone wants.
>
> I still prefer pull requests (because PRs are a good way to avoid
> breakage/typos and also a kind of "what's new in QGIS?") but yes direct
> contribution from devs to doc will be possible.

Sorry, I explained badly. Pull requests are perfectly fine and desirable
and should be the standard way to contribute for everyone (including
devs). What I wanted to say is that commits (and therefore pull
requests) are preferable over issues because they are written in rst and
not md, unlike issues.

Matthias