At 10-08-2015 22:47 Monday, Alex Mandel wrote:
On 08/10/2015 12:49 PM, Springfield Harrison wrote:
> Hello Paolo,
>
> Good that you can report a different experience, hopefully a better one than
> mine. My operating system is W7 and I have many years of experience in GIS,
> mostly Manifold.
>
> I have received several suggestions for georeferencing vector files -
>
>  * Vector Bender, VectorGeoreference plug-ins. Both of these failed due to
>    missing dependencies. Although the programs are experimental, should not
>    the underlying essential files be in place?
>  * Grass V.rectify, v.transform. I believe these operate through GRASS. I
>    have gone down so many rabbit holes lately that some of these details are
>    beginning to blur. I believe the problem here was using GRASS itself.
>    There seems to be a steep learning curve, particularly with the definition
>    of a mapset. The whole thing fell apart when the process for defining a
>    Group (why?) required a raster file for a purely vector process. I have
>    stuck in a dummy raster file and will try again eventually. This has been
>    hugely time-consuming with nothing to show for it.
>
> My main complaints are twofold,
>
>  * missing dependencies. From extensive traffic on this list over the past few
>    weeks, the whole QGIS environment seems to be rife with missing support
>    files. I understand that this is open source, etc. but surely all the
>    essential pieces should be in place. When I attempt to install Vector
>    Bender, it reports missing dependencies and packs up. Why doesn't it just
>    install the missing dependencies, it seems to know what and where they are?

Missing dependencies for Plugins are python libraries that do not ship
with QGIS as they are not QGIS specific and are set by plugin authors
outside the main QGIS build system. Sometime down the road we hope to be
able to pull such libraries as needed during plugin install...

On Windows also note that QGIS/OSGeo4w ship with their own Python
separate from the system to avoid conflicts. You have to install extra
python libs into this QGIS specific python.

        Right, a complex process I suppose.  I don't understand your second paragraph, and don't really need to.  However, it does indicate to me that one needs a fair amount of very specific technical knowledge to do a full and proper install.  To me, this is a major failing, as I am not an IT professional and only have rudimentary programming skills.

        My interest is in using the GIS tools that I need to their fullest, not in unraveling the arcane foibles and quirks of a poorly implemented installation process.  As an end-user, my imperative is to do the work, not endlessly fart around trying to get all of it's parts connected and working.  If I wanted to do that I would get a degree in computer science and join the development team.  Perhaps the developers overestimate the technical computer skills of the end-users.  I suspect that most of us don't really care what goes on under the hood, we just want to get work done.

        Sorry for the rant, I have wasted many evenings on what should be a very simple task.  I was contemplating donating to the cause but will give that thought a rest for now.

                 Thanks again, Cheers . . . . . . . . Spring Harrison

Nathan has a good blog post about it, maybe someone can recall the link,
I can't seem to find it.

-Alex