This can be achieved using the PostGIS function ST_MinimumBoundingCircle(). If you can import your subplots point layer into a PostGIS database, then (assuming the points have an attribute "subplot_id", and geometry column "the_geom") you could do something like:

SELECT s.subplot_id, ST_MinimumBoundingCircle(ST_Collect(s.the_geom)) as the_geom
    FROM subplots AS s
    GROUP BY s.subplot_id;

(Based on the example from http://postgis.net/docs/ST_MinimumBoundingCircle.html)

I would also point out that there's a concept "Standard Deviational Ellipse" for encircling points by an ellipse at a certain stdev distance from the "center of gravity" of the points. If this is of interest, you can implement it in GRASS-GIS with the
v.ellipse addon.