This sounds just like an issue I had some time ago with scaled visibilities.
In order for the map in the main screen to fit into the specified paper size
in the Map Composer you want to see exactly the same extent as on the main
display.
But, of course, Map Composer has to fit it all into the specified paper
size.
Thus it changes the scale to fit on to the paper. Say from 1:10,000 to
1:12,000.
This means that visible layers or styles may suddenly disappear if the
visibility threshold is crossed.
You need to take this into account, and if necessary, just change the scale
at which your layer or style appears or disappears.
It seems to me that this is not  a bug, but a necessary way to get your map
on to paper.
I hope this helps,
Best wishes