Hi, I will add that I use QTiles's mbtiles in my android smartphone with Oruxmaps and it works nicely

W dniu 2016-07-29 o 16:59, Bernd Vogelgesang pisze:
Hi,
I normally do it this way to have an offline basemap either for the mobile phone or the notebook:

1. Install QuickMapServices (an add contributed pack in the settings) for a variety of background layer. There are also different flavours of OSM, so pick your favourite.

2. Install the (tagged as experimental) QTiles plugin.
Assuming you have to work in certain area at a time only, set your canvas to this are. In QTiles, you can choose between .zip and .mbtiles (but those mbtiles work within QGIS for already a while). Pick mbtiles for file creation. Choose your zoom level carefully. If you do not need too much detail, 15 will be enough. See http://gis.stackexchange.com/a/7443 for detail which zoom level represents which map scale.

For me this setting resulted in 150MB file for an area of ca. 100 square kilometers. Higher zoom level or multiple zoom levels will let this grow exponentially. You will have to test a bit to find the right settings for your purpose. The creation of this mbtile will take a while cause it has to download all the tiles for the area one after another.
So better test with a really small area before starting a big download.

Hope this helps
Bernd