Von: Qgis-user [qgis-user-boun...@lists.osgeo.org] im Auftrag von Nicolas
Cadieux [nicolas.cadi...@archeotec.ca]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 12. Oktober 2016 14:07
An: qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org
Betreff: Re: [Qgis-user] inconsistenty when calculating area depending on file
type or projection?

You may be calculating square degrees and not metres.  It can depend on the crs
depending on the tools you are using.

Le 11 oct. 2016 à 08:54, Martina Schäfer [via OSGeo.org<http://OSGeo.org>]
<[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=5290417&i=0>> a écrit :

I experienced some confusion with calculation of area using the field
calculator in QGIS version 2.16.3. Since I'm using MapInfo Professional as
well, I mainly use tab-files that I can open in both programmes, but
occasionally I save as shapefile since this used to be the default in QGIS.

When comparing files, I coincidently realized that there was a mismatch in
calculated area for the shapefile and the tab-file for exactly the same
polygons! I used the field calculator in the attribute table in both cases, but
for the shapefile the resulting areas were almost doubled in area compared to
the tab-file. Any idea why this is happening?

I also realized similar differences when calculating area in a file where
projection has been converted from SWEREF99TM (a Swedish national projection)
to WGS84. There differences occurred in both the tab and shapefile compared to
the area calculated for the same tab-file in MapInfo. Again I find this very

I need to rely on the area-calculations thus I really hope someone here can
explain to me what is happening!

Thanks in advance,

To start a new topic under Quantum GIS - User, email [hidden
To unsubscribe from Quantum GIS - User, click here.

on file type or
Sent from the Quantum GIS - User mailing list
archive<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Quantum-GIS-User-f4125267.html> at
Qgis-user mailing list
List info: http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user