Hi Juliana,

First, I would investigate with Carto, if you really cannot embed a WMS. It would be much better to use the webservice directly rather than downloading and uploading and then end up with an outdated image.

If that does not work, you need to set a meaningful resolution. As we can see in your screenshot the resolution text input fields are empty. Also check if the projection is correct. Do you really want to save in EPSG:4326 or rather in a meter based system?

What kind of data are you saving? Orthoimages or maps with few colors or black and white? If it is orthoimages, I would use JPEG compression in the Geotiff, otherwise probably deflate/LZW.

Then you have to find a meaningful resolution. If you really want to save in EPSG:4326, you have to specify a resolution in decimal degrees. Try with larger values first, such as 0.05 and then, if it is too coarse go to smaller values.

About polygonizing raster to vector: this really depends on the content - and I kind of doubt it if you really get meaningful results. Maybe it works with few colors and homogeneous areas. It certainly would not work well for aerial images.

Hope it helps,
Andreas