Let me see if I can break it on my end. It's opening for me ....and I just opened it with a random win protocol I just picked.

Lemme do some digging - I'm not entirely sure why yours isn't opening. I'm running xubuntu 16.04 and qgis 2.18.1 and it works.

Are you in a Virtual Machine or installed on a computer? This is going to sound stupid but is your networking up? Can you ping something on the outside world. I just turned networking off and got the same error. I'm hoping you're about to save you're in a VM and maybe the networking is being weird.

Randy