Unfortunately, the Forest Service Website went offline (maybe this
thread caused so much traffic that it broke down? ;) )

I'm also desperately searching for an affordable way to have at least
some decent accuracy. I do not need submeter, but it would be fantastic
if it was possible to achieve meter accuracy.
I gave up on that Garmin stuff. They might be accurate, but I have no
chance to control this until I return home and put the recorded data on
screen over an aerial image. Those screens are a joke, and the business
logic that prevents me to put reasonable aerial imagery on the device
without paying a fortune is apita. Maybe this improved cause I last
checked 5 years ago.

Mobile phones at least in my case seem to get worse. My Motorola from
2016 had an accuracy of less than 4 meters, most of the time less than 2.
Now I bought a Huawei 30 pro cause of the camera (my first phone with
nice pictures!), but the accuracy is a nightmare. The position is
jumping around like a dog on rabies.
I also bought a bluetooth device (Navilock BT-821G) two years ago. This
is much better than the phones GPS, tho it only receives 20 satellites
maximum (The phone claims to receive some 40). But also this device
sometimes, when walking a transect, is constantly 5 meters off the track
for several several minutes.

As apps averaging the positions were mentioned: Does anyone have a
recommendation on such apps (for Android)? I found some, but the
usability was not that great, and some even didn't enhance anything.

Furthermore, I stumble upon an article about a module with u-blox chip.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/16481
Does anyone have any experience with modules like this and what else is
needed? The description of all the stuff leaves me a bit puzzled.

Cheers,

Bernd