Hi,

I looked at the page.It looks like a neat project!  Buy time you buy a case,
antenna... (I don’t think they come with on), your back into the price range of
a forestry grade survey GPS unit.  I think the Emild single band gps
(https://emlid.com/reachrs/ ) is probably a better choice unless you really
want to make this a learning project. But if I understand you are really on a
shoe string budget.

None of these Gps, by the way, would beat and old theodolite...  if you can
establish or find a good gps position (look for the city or state geomatics
services) or survey point,  a théodolite would give you survey grade positions.
 City have these points on every few blocks.  You may be able to find A
theodolite for free.  A second hand TotalStation could be better but that will
be more difficult to find in those price ranges (Shoe string).  You can also
rent equipment or find a college that would take this up as a teaching
opportunity.

Have fun!

Nicolas Cadieux
Ça va bien aller!