----- Original Message -----
From: "Phoebus Dokos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [ql-users] Perfection

.
> Not entirely true :-) I submitted that idea to my graduating supervisor
> professor at the uni and I was approved :-) That means that the ql-archive
> will be a reality (that is if I want to graduate in December ;-)
> For status now: I am finished with the database structure and most of the
> search code (in PHP).

Glad to hear this, but I am not so interested in the technical side of the
archiving, but in the practical. I am not sure that the people who raised
this issue 2 months ago were all talking about the same thing. Pity there
was no proper discussion of this at the time.

Practical problems are for example:

1: How do you make a complete inventory of all the QL software, both PD and
commercial, that has ever been published? This first stage could occupy a
team for months on end.

2: How do you contact the copyright holders and/or authors when there is no
up to date contact information? Specifically how would you solve the
QLiberator problem.

3: How do you sort out complicated copyright questions? For example Freddy V
gave permission for Perfection to become freeware, but not Spellchecker. Or
think of the situation with the EasyPtr upgrade.

4: How do you cope with the anal retention problem, where an author refuses
to release or modify code? (e.g. the Text87 problem.)

If we are really serious about a software archive, then it should not be a
one man effort, but a team looking at these problems.

Best Wishes,
Geoff