Malcolm,

As an alternative on your side can't you set your email program to wrap the lines for you? Both my email programs do this automatically and all the emails that I have received from this list are fitted automatically to my window width which is great! If someone forces hard stops in a line as you suggest, then when the reader gets it and if his window doesn't match the width, he ends up getting some short cutoff lines which are a bit annoying :)

Cheers,
jim