On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:14:30 +0100, Wolfgang Lenerz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It will be set up as a "thing" (since I don't think we have found any other
satisfactory solution for compiled Basic).
For each job, the thing should contain:
the complete filename
the dir whence it came from (home dir)
the current dir which will initially be the home dir

facilities should exist to
set the complete filename. This will also set the home dir and current
dir.
get the filename, home dir and current dir.
set the current dir (either directly or by ddup, ddown?)
get the length of the file/dir names (this would only be of interest
 if *somebody* actually gets around to implementing some form of
long file names).
set a default filename for a job with a certain name

Wolfgang - my interest has started to be inspired :-)

This scheme sounds a very good idea.
We need to agree which commands will set up the current filename.

Suggest: EX,EXEC,EW,EXEC_W,LOAD,LRUN,HOT_LOAD,HOT_RES,HOT_RES1

Turbo: EXECUTE,EXECUTE_A,EXECUTE_W

I do think however, that the easiest way for programs to access these would be through:

a) new commands to set and read the values
b) a new device(s) to read the home and current directory, so that you can use OPEN "home_config"
suggest these are
home_
my_

I think that the device is necessary to ensure that these new facilities could be used within existing programs if you want.

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

http://www.rwapservices.co.uk/