On 13 Jan 2005 at 11:59, P Witte wrote:

(...)

> > I'm not promising anything quick, though.
>
> (Wasnt that what I said two years ago?  ;)

I  *won't* take that long, though!
(...)
> > It will be set up as a "thing" (since I don't think we have found any
> > other satisfactory solution for compiled Basic).
>
> "We" havent really tried, but ok

Go ahead!!!!!!!
(...)

> Both. By why not re-use the DUP & DDOWN code as a general utility to work
on
> any filename string, given the string's location? Suggest the new Sbasic
> keywords be called UD, DD and CD (CD -> Change dir, ie set a new start
> string) ie, something quick and simple (though admittedly a two char name is
> potentially dangerous)

NOT trivial.

> [Note: Since we're still in "brainstorming mode" I reserve the right to
> make /outrageous/ and even downright /stupid/ suggestions without being
> smirked at at future QL shows, ok?  ;o]

Ok, we'll just smirk here, then...

> > get the length of the file/dir names (this would only be of interest
> >  if *somebody* actually gets around to implementing some form of
> > long file names).
>
> Yes! Ie, no LEN, it has to be a system call
>
> > set a default filename for a job with a certain name
>
> No. I dont see the point. They can just use PROGD$ as now.

No, I thought about hot_rext'd progs.

To reacp:

When you exec an executable  thing from a hotkey, there is no way you'll set
the home dir for that.
So, I proposed the following workaround: when that prog tries to get its
homedir, this will fail (sinc eit wans't set for that prog)..
In such a case, the home thing should see whether there is a defaiult home
dir set for a prog with that name, and pass that default home dir back.
Perhaps hot_rext could even set that default dir, instead of this being done
by the user explicitly, but this I DON'T promise, I'll have to see how
feasible that would be.

Wolfgang