Actually just poorly written Java apps and/or with poorly designed Java development environments. I would presume that since he used to write QL code that he knows how to efficiently use Java too. It makes a big difference if you understand and apply good practices in Java, just like it does in QL coding.

So with him, fast might be appropriate.

Cheers,
jim