Peter Graf writes:

> > Id go one better: The place to start, of course, is to make the Qx0
> > designs public and free so other people can develop and improve them,
> > and in some cases, build their own. A "free" computer to run free
> > software on. Just the thing.
>
> The obstacle is production. If I publish software, it automatically
> exists, if I publish hardware it does not. Every single piece of hardware
> must be built (in series production if it's going to be affordable) and at
> the complexity and massive costs of the Qx0, this means commercial
> production.
>
> Unfortunately one can't materialize mainboards by a uploading to a website
> or burning a CD.

All that is pretty obvious, of course - and neatly side-steps the issue ;)

Equally obvious to me, however, is that a /design/ is not a physical thing,
but it is essential information to understand the physical thing; how it
works, how it can be fixed if there is a problem, how to improve it, how to
create addons and expansions, and how to build your own if you are that way
inclined. (Presumably, even you had to build a few one-off prototypes to
test your design before going to production.)

Now, as an owner of a Q60 - a considerable investment, I would feel a lot
happier if I knew the designs were available for many of the reasons
mentioned above. You might not always be around, you might loose interest,
or you might (heaven forbid!) decide to use the monopoly position you
enjoy with your closed, proprietory architecture, to my disadvantage. Thered
be precious little I could do about that.

But luckily it need never come to that because, as you suggest, there is
another way: You would make your designs and firmware "open" and make your
profit on the "added value" thing! (I am assuming, of course, that you
respect other people's intellectual property rights as you do your own, and
would never expect others to do what you would not wish to do yourself.)

Per

    • ... Tarquin Mills
  • ... Dilwyn Jones
  • ... Dilwyn Jones
    • ... James Hunkins
      • ... David Tubbs
    • ... COLIN PARSONS
  • ... pgraf
  • ... Dilwyn Jones
  • ... Darren Branagh
    • ... Dilwyn Jones
  • ... Darren Branagh
    • ... Tony Firshman
    • ... Malcolm Cadman
      • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
        • ... Malcolm Cadman
  • ... Dilwyn Jones