P Witte wrote:
> Laurence Reeves writes:
>
>> <snip>
>>  but... <http://www.bergbland.info/sime.xml>?
>>
> <>
> IE7 says:
>
> The XML page cannot be displayed
> Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error
> and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.
> Invalid unicode character. Error processing resource
> 'http://www.auni40.dsl.pipex.com/sime.xml'. Line 1, Position 10
>
> &#x1D5555;

Sorry about that. My fault.

I backed off from what I had before, because it didn't pass W3C
validation. I.e. I was stupidly expecting browsers to "fall back" in the
same way with my totally awful code. :)

I've set up <http://www.bergbland.info/sime> with lots of variations on
the theme. Everything there (that should do so) passes W3C validation
(locally).

Historically, to quote W3C: "MathML 2.0 <http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/>,
a W3C Recommendation was released on 21 Feb 2001". Apparently, W3C have
never really sorted out what it's supposed to do when in an HTML
document. They just moved on to XHTML, etc.