Hi Dave,

I have C reference manuals and numerous books on the subject but as
I sit in front of my QL I think, "Now, how do i use C68 to write that
Hello
world C program", by that I don't mean the source, i.e.

#include <stdio.h>

void main(void)
{
    // I hope this is right !
    printf ("Hello World");
}

... or whatever the correct syntax is.

I mean, what do i do/use to enter the source ( i shan't assume i could
use any text
editor although i guess I can). how do i Link / compile... what gets
generated etc
etc etc. It's that which is a mystery to me as is all the numerous
options i read about
in the c68_doc.

Amazed it wasn't PTR'izd with a rather friendly debugger thrown into
the mix ;-) ,
although I have come across a front end screen that seems to link
various parts
of C68 together, perhaps thats my starting point.

Cheers

Neil
p.s. I use Visual Studio 2005 Professional in work which deffo won't
run in 4Mb ram !

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 21 February 2007 15:34 >>>

You are correct in that there is no document for those who are not
already
familiar with C.  It was deemed a lot of work to write such a document
and
there are plenty of books around that already cover that.

What is on the documentation disk is a guide to how C maps onto the
QDOS
environment.  Also available is the detailed library reference
material.

Note that if anyone does provide any "getting started" type documents I
am
more than happy to add them to the standard set.

I recently took early retirement, so if anything interesting comes up
that
might be c68 related I should now have free time to work on it.   There
have
not been any developments in c68 for quite a few years now, but that
does
not mean that there are not a number of things that have not been
identified
that might be worth working on.

Another thing that I have thought of working on is a port of gcc to the
QDOS
environment to replace c68.    It would definitely not run on
unexpanded QL
systems as I would expect any system with less than about 4Mb RAM would
be
unable to run it, but would have the advantage of getting a maintained
compiler onto QDOS/SMSE as well as supporting C++ facilities in
addition to
standard C.  However it is not worth putting any effort into this if
there
would not be a reasonable demand for it.

Dave