----- Original Message -----
From: "Wolfgang Lenerz" <>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2007 7:16 AM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] Comment from the "Traditional" QUANTA Committee

> gwicks wrote :
>> Sorry, John, but you are missing the point. In this case Quanta should
>> not
>> have needed a request. There are times when Quanta needs to take an
>> initiative,
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Geoff
>>
> I'm not so sure I agree with you there.
> You can't expect Quanta to contact all those with potential projects.
> Surely it would be more reasonable for that person to contact Quanta?

Sorry, this is going to be a long email.

Can we go back to first principles?

It the last few weeks there has been an enormous amount of criticism of
Quanta for its "failure" or "unwillingness" to fund the Goldfire project.
Quanta has been told, sometimes by non-members, that it is its duty, if
necessary, to use up all of its capital on the Goldfire project.

Quanta has been unfairly and unjustly maligned.

In 2004 a group of us were prepared to present a business case to Quanta for
funding of the project. This never happened for the simple reason that Nasta
himself was not enthusiastic about Quanta involvement.

I do not know what Nasta's present attitude is, but I have no reason to
believe it has changed. I can also see good reasons, partly because of the
links between his work situation and Goldfire, why he took this attitude.

In the circumstances Quanta cannot have any involvement in the Goldfire
project.

For all that muchof the criticism of Quanta over its capital is justified.
Nevertheless I believe Quanta has changed a lot of the last two years. The
huge protest we had on this list at the end of 2004 when Quanta chairman
John Mason threatened to close it down, not realising that it was not his to
close
down, was an enormous shock to Quanta and changed a lot of attitudes. Among
other things I think Quanta is now more willing to make use of its capital
than it was three years ago.

Unfortunately some of the old thinking tends to persist and Quanta still
gives the impression of being a bureaucratic body resisting change and
expenditure. Even more unfortunately this has been combined with a tendency
for this committee to give more power to itself and less to the members. I
have had a lot of experience of constitutions and I have never seen one
which gives the executive so much power and the members so little as the
Quanta Constitution. It is a most unhealthy situation when that executive is
safeguarding £12,000 of members' money. (Please note I am talking
structures, not people here. I am not implying a lack of integrity by the
committee.)

Other worrying features of Quanta are that it has lost 86 members in two
years, and that it is proving more and more difficult to service the vast
majority of members.

Frankly, if I did not have QL Today responsibilities and attend shows, I
would not be a member of Quanta.  Quanta means very little to me. I don't
read the most of the magazine, the website hasn't been updated in over a
year and I use download libraries, not Quanta. I hear many people saying
similar things, but who remain in Quanta as a form of loyalty.

Quanta more than anything else needs to look at its image and in particular
at the bad financial reputation it has. I am not suggesting that Quanta
embraces every harebrained scheme that appears on this list, and I also
fully agree that a detailed business plan is necessary for major
investments. At the same time it is also important Quanta keeps an eye out
for projects for which it could be involved, and itself takes an initiative,
because this will show a great willingness to be an active partner in the QL
community.

The USB project was a good example of this. It concerns a major need of the
QL community, it was not expensive and it involves an established trader
with a proven track record. As it happens Tony Firshman has intervened
effectively, but now he will rightly get the kudos and not Quanta.

This next bit is going to hurt.

John Gilpin is being dishonest and disingenuous in his financial and other
objections.

 In 1995 Quanta made an expenditure  of  £576 of members' money after just 3
telephone calls to 4 of the 6 committee members. (The other two were on
holiday.) One of the four, me, said no, but it was a democratic decision.

If the committee want to do it the machinery is in place for quick decision
making. Within 24 hours its is possible for an email exchange to take place
between all committee members. We did it several times when I was on the
committee. Quanta also has an efficient secretary and Sarah Gilpin has
ensured that telephone decisions are confirmed by email and the emails
recorded in the minutes,

Best Wishes,

Geoff