A quick test with one of my own programs confirms this feature.
(mouse in the one apl window with a pic in it and a scroll bar.)

The manual page for MCALL states that a special operation code is
delivered in "num" if there are bars set up with MAWBAR and refers to
Important_txt, MAWBAR/MAWBARR chapter.
This states that this operation code is masked with the pixel position,
which is zero when the mouse is not hit.
It doesn't say that it is the ascii code when a key is used.
When I wait for the timeout the returned code is $FFFFFB00.
The high word -1 probably signals that no key is pressed, but what to make
of the $FB00?

Bob
Could this FFFF FB00 be the -1280 or -$500 which MCALLT returns in the event of a timeout or event?

Time to call in the cavalry...*Marcel*