Anyway how do you have an application window with no items but with
scroll bars?

Obviously I have misunderstood the problem!

George
The application window is used to display graphics, as a window onto a larger page size. The scroll bars are set up with the Easyptr MAWBAR command, which allows you to control the bar from the co-ordinates of the area specified - a manual bar rather than ones set up automatically by a menu, if you like.

This particular issue is I'm pretty sure Easyptr-specific and ONLY occurs in application windows with NO menu.The upper word always returns the code of the key pressed (the key which caused MCALLT to return), even if that is not an action key, and is not just a cursor key, for example. As long as it's an official facility which isn't a "feature" of a particular Easyptr version, it can be useful in some circumstances, although it's probably only the same data as the MKEY% function returns (code of key causing last return from MCALL, RDPT or MINPUT for example).

Now I know what's going on, it's easy to handle, although it might mean a little change to handle this in my older programs which don't expect a return value in the upper bytes. Anyone wanting to embarrass me can try any of my older programs which manipulate text or graphics in an application window without menu - move the pointer into the window with the mouse, then use the cursor keys to move the pointer within the window and tell me which programs fall over at that point!