On 22 Mar 2011, at 18:43, Geoff Wicks wrote:

> One of the arguments used by those in favour of counting proxies as part of
> the quorum is that some companies use this in their members and shareholders
> meetings. Others counter this by saying "but not in their board meetings",

I think this is nonsense. No company with which I have been involved has
confused proxies with presence.

One disturbing thing about proxies is that it is usual in Constitutions to
detail the ways in which proxies can be called. That implies that a motion can
be passed by a show of hands even though there are enough proxy votes against
to throw out the motion. If it were possible to proceed without a proxy count
being made then how can these votes be counted as part of a quorum?

I certainly recall company AGMs where a vote by show of hands is taken, perhaps
12 for and none against, and then the Chairman announces that there are
2,534,001 proxy votes for the motion.

George