Tony Firshman wrote:
Dilwyn Jones wrote, on 6/Apr/11 13:23 | Apr6:
Norman Dunbar wrote:
Afternoon all,

On 06/04/11 10:52, Dilwyn Jones wrote:

Gerard Phelan had the idea of asking a search engine how to
pronounce it (now why didn't I think of that?).
That's what I did too!

http://www.forvo.com/word/tyche/

Interesting in that the word is Greek and is pronounced Tee-chee.
Tyche is/was the goddess of [good] fortune. Also:
Hmm, as Jonathan Oakley was apparently involved with the Tyche
development, this makes sense, as many of the later QView projects were
named after gods and godesses (Minerva, Hermes, etc etc)

Minerva maybe but Lau and I dreamed up Hermes.
It was not a Qview project.

Tony

Ah... but Tony... do you not remember scrabbling around looking for the Greek god of serial ports?

On the Tyche front... I (and Johnathan) pronounce it exactly as the two words "tie" and "key". The OED entry for the prefix "tycho-" (from Tyche) supports this:

t - eye - k - oh

 t - as in "tan"
 eye - as in buy
 k - as in card, park
 oh - as in goat

The Greek spelling of Tyche is tau-upsilon-chi-eta. The upsilon does its usual metamorphosis from a "u" sound to a "y", as in "psycho", The chi just gets left with a harder "k" sound.

Much the same applies to the other Greek mortal, later goddess: Psyche (psi, upsilon, chi, iota). The Merriam-Webster will pronounce that one.

--
ASC Decoder at<http://www32.brinkster.com/ascdecode/>