En/Je/On 2012-03-01 23:01, j...@supanet.com escribió / skribis / wrote :

> If SBasic or QL is to survive two things have to happen.
> 1    SBasic license has to change to open source such as GPL.

I guess SBASIC means SMSQ/E too.

> 2    An Emulator such as Uqlx  needs to be upgraded to run on the Rasberry
> PI and Pandora.

I think those devices are good examples of the current evolution. Sooner or
later the old x86 architecture will be deprecated. ARM is far more efficient
in many ways.  Another good example is the **open hardware** ARM tablets and
netbooks by http://alwaysinnovating.com, with different OS.

By the way, some time ago my brother tinkered with uQLx and succeeded
compiling it in Pandora. I'll ask him about the details. I fact now I have
that Pandora, in order to explore how to install Debian on it.

> If these programs are open source then the development will probably
> happen automatically.

Maybe not automatically. I mean, I'm not sure how many QL people have the
needed knowledge and free time. But open source is a sine qua non condition
for surviving.

> Otherwise it will die with us.

Indeed.

Marcos