Bob Spelten wrote
> I repeated your process to the letter with SMSQ/m (8217) and QPC2
> (4.02/3.22) and an unchanged copy QLE.win from the Nov.2015 update. Both
> did NOT freeze on access to WIN1_.
It is essential that you use the complete QL/E, not only the QLE.win.
Especially the screen settings (e.g. resolution, colour depth) are
important. QPAC2 Files must popup itself at exactly the position with
exactly the number of files to display like in my scenario. Otherwise the
system may not freeze. I did not (yet) found another scenario to Freeze
SMSQ/E with QL/E.

> I selected and Viewed the Boot file from Files using only the keyboard. No
> problems.
The freeze comes after the content of WIN1_ are being displayed. When you're
able to view a file then the scenario was not 100% equal.

> My laptop is already in its seventh year with a conventional SATA HDD
> running W$7.
Nothing to complain about if it's at least a Core2Duo with at least 2GB RAM.
:-)

> Yours I suspect, is running W$10 from an SSD. Could that be an issue?
Win7 on my year 2007 (32-bit) and 2011 (64-bit) notebooks, both with SSD.
No.

> > I then found an easy workaround for the Freeze case.
> > Perform one time a simple SAVE WIN1_boot_bak (e.g. between steps 3
> and
> > 4) and you never get the freeze.
> >
> > My feeling is that QPAC2 Files has a problem when displaying the
> > content of the chosen Source Directory WIN1_ at exactly the position
> > where QPAC2 Files is positioned in above mentioned scenario.
> >
> So you suggest to write something to WIN1_ before opening Files?
> That's something my normal Boot already does. A list of actually loaded
> extensions is generated and saved before I have time to do anything
useful.
> That is the beauty / problem with SMSQ/E, everybody has a completely
> different Boot.
You did misinterpret/misunderstand this. Just save a file (e.g.
WIN1_boot_bak) ONCE. Then reboot and try my scenario. QPAC2 Files will not
fail anymore. I think it's because displaying the content of the ROOT of
WIN1_ is then slightly different (it has 1 file more in the ROOT directory)
and the failure/freeze is not happening here anymore. At least not at this
stage.

> > Enjoy the sunny Sunday!
> >
> At the moment it's quite gray here.
> That's why I have a sunny picture of the Scottish Highlands as wallpaper.
Nice!

Enjoy the long Easter weekend.

Urs